Based in Breda, The Netherlands
13 July, 2016
FRU is a puzzle platformer that features an innovative use of Kinect, in which your silhouette becomes a "portal" between two worlds.
You will find yourself solving puzzles by strategically positioning your body, combining physical interaction with traditional platforming.
The game features four completely different chapters, all based around our innovative use of the silhouette, with a unique twist to each one of them.
In addition to moving and balancing your body to solve levels, you’ll also find yourself swimming inside your silhouette, striking crazy poses to activate contraptions, and awkwardly tiptoeing to avoid dangerous hazards!
FRU was born as a quick prototype realised in 48 hours during the 2014 Global Game Jam in Breda, Netherlands. Desperate for the lack of ideas and the sleep deprivation, we discovered our programmer had brought a Kinect.
Ideas flew, one prototype lead to another, and we finally had a game, which you can see in our very old trailer: youtube link
We were blown away by the response of critic and public, so we decided to turn the game into a more complete and polished experience. We founded "Through Games", the company that we have been part of for the more than two years of development.
After a brief stop at E3, showcasing our coop prototype ( youtube link ), we decided we were going to focus on single player, but included the cooperative version in the full game as an unlockable bonus.
The new FRU is an entirely revised experience, with new mechanics and worlds, including a Water world (We promise, it's the *good* kind of water level!) where you can Swim inside your silhouette, and a "silhouette-buttons" mechanic that will rival the Yoga teacher your cousin is talking so much about.
- Innovative, never seen before use of Kinect
- Four different chapters, with completely unique ways of using the main mechanic
- 110 Levels there to prove that, and 24 Extra Collectibles as if the game wasn't challenging enough!
- Our original E3 2014 Co-op Build ready to be unlocked!
- Achievements that ask you to move muscles you didn't even know you had!
E3 Coop Prototype Trailer YouTube
Original Prototype Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Official Selection of the Experimental Gameplay Workshop at GDC 2014" San Francisco, March, 2014
- "National and Local Global Game Jam Winner (Netherlands)" Netherlands, January, 2014
- CliffyB, Twitter
- "If you don’t think that’s an amazing idea, then we’re not friends, and you’re no longer invited to my birthday party. This is just 48 hours work, and for that, much applause."
- John Walker, Rock Paper Shotgun
- "Fru isn't just the best game I've ever seen on Kinect (sorry, Dance Central, though you're pretty good, too)...it's a game I really want to play"
- Stephen Totilo, Kotaku
- "The most inventive use of Kinect in years"
- Patrick Klepek, GiantBomb
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below to complete a distribute() request and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
About Through Games
Through Games is the company we founded to develop Fru, after we made our first prototype at the Global Game Jam 2014. It's located in Breda, the Netherlands, and we very much enjoy confusing people with the assonance Fru / Through.
More information on Through Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Erwin van Hoof
Lauren Lapierre Armande
Erik te Molder
Game Designer, Producer